Thursday, December 2, 2010

Try Something New

I went to the farmers' market to get inspired today.  We're moving into that less colorful season around here, the one I call the "101 Things to Do with Kale" season.  Winter markets are less exciting for me, so I was pleased to find something I had never tried before: feijoas, also known as pineapple guava.  And I am in love!



At first I thought they were limes, which I needed to get, but as I got closer I could tell they were something different...the sign poking out of the box that read "Pineapple Guava" helped a bit.  Twin Girls Farm has samples out of all their fruits, so I picked one up as I walked by, and it literally stopped me in my tracks.  The flavor and the scent of the fruit are almost intoxicating - a beautiful blend of pineapple, pear, lemon, guava, kiwi and pinot griggio...seriously, it's THAT good.  And it's so nice to know that there is a "tropical" fruit grown here in California, so I can satisfy my "local and seasonal" sensibilities and  my desire for tropical fruit.  I'm bummed I only bought 5 of them; I only have one left.  I'll be hitting the Civic Center Market on Sunday to scoop up a bunch before they're all gone.  They will only be around for a couple more weeks, so do yourself a favor and get out to your local farmer's market before they disappear (unless your local market is also the Sunday Civic Center one; then stay home, it's supposed to rain Sunday and I'm concerned you'll catch a cold). 

Look for ones that are dark green, give a little (like an avacado), and are free of bruises.  The skin is a little bitter, so I don't eat it, but according to the farmer, you can.  I just cut them in half and scoop out the flesh.  With the next batch I buy I'll get a little more invested:  put them in salads and smoothies and make a tropical salsa (with kiwi, satsuma, shallots and red pepper flakes) to put over a nice piece of fish.  If you are a baker, I think these would be fantastic in muffins...and then bring them on over to my house!

I've got to go eat that last one.....

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never had a pineapple guava before, they sound muy deliciouso.....I bet Dave would like them too!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete