Friday, July 22, 2011

Ubuntu

After reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and getting re-energized about eating more plant-based meals, there is no better place to go than Ubuntu in Napa.  They have the most delicious, most creative, and most visually beautiful vegetarian food that I have ever eaten.

I went for lunch with my friends Sue and Stephanie last weekend. It's the perfect place to share dishes, and to let the server choose for you.  We started with the most gorgeous soup I've ever seen - a chilled cantaloupe soup.  Turns out it tasted even better than it looked, and I was not sure that was possible.


The bowl arrived with fresh herbs, edible flowers, pickled radish and lime peanuts.  Then our server poured a liquid of  "clarified cantaloupe" over the entire dish.  Fantastic!  And who the heck thought of clarified cantaloupe??  I googled it and found just one listing that looked like waaaay too much work.  So glad the folks at Ubuntu aren't as lazy as I am.

Next we were given an assorted beet salad with preserved lime, pistachios, squash, mint, more edible flowers and the tastiest little morsels of "torn potatoes", like little pillows.


Next we had the only thing on the menu that I would have passed on; it was a chickpeas dish in a wonderful romesco sauce with a poached egg on top.  I'm not a fan of gooey eggs that leak out onto my food, but Sue and Steph like poached eggs so we didn't exclude it when we told our server to bring us whatever she suggested.  It was delicious, as I easily ate my way around the egg.

Our last savory dish was focaccia with truffled pecorino, purple haze carrots, radishes, fennel and a sweet puree off apricot.  Although the dishes are small, it manages to completely satisfy and, amazingly, there was no fighting over the last bite!

But don't forget about dessert...as you can imagine they are equally gorgeous and delicious.  We could have done fine with just one, but I couldn't decide between the meyer lemon cake or the apple tartlets, so we got both!  
 





Now we just needed to take a nice, long walk around downtown Napa.  Good food, good friends, good times... doesn't get much better than that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment