Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One little tomato sitting in a tree....

Those who know me, even slightly, know that I have not been blessed with a green thumb (thank God I have 5 year-round farmers' markets in my county).  In fact, I often say that the only two things I can manage to keep alive are me and Maxx.  But last year I tried growing tomatoes for the first time.  And I was surprisingly successful.  So this year, feeling a little cocky, I busted out more plants.  I planted four in all....

And then there was one. It was like that Agatha Christie movie I saw as a kid, when one by one each guest was found murdered.  One by one, each of my plants was ripped at the base, leaving nothing but the metal cage that was meant to guide it as it grew to greatness.  I'm usually very happy to live in an area where people and wildlife live together, but when that wildlife messes with garden....not so happy. 

I had almost given up on the one remaining plant, figuring it's time was coming soon, too.  But yesterday I went out and saw not one, but two, little baby tomatoes hanging there.

So while you anxiously await the news about the fate of these two little juicy nuggets, I want to share with you a yummy recipe for my Blistered Tomato-Basil Pesto. Obviously I didn't use MY tomatoes, but a beautiful blend of yellow and red cherry tomatoes...

 A couple notes on my recipe:
1) I use walnuts instead of pine nuts, because I always have walnuts in my freezer and they are much less expensive than pine nuts.  No one has ever noticed the difference; in fact, most people who have had my walnut-basil pesto prefer it.
 2) I only use 1/4 cup of olive oil and then add water to get to the consistency that I want, dramatically cutting the amount of fat in the recipe.  Again, no one is the wiser, but your waistline will thank you.
3) Cooking tomatoes actually makes them more nutritious than eating them raw.  And the combination of tomatoes with olive oil (and when doesn't that happen?!) makes it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients, especially the lycopene.

So eat this up while you wait on the edge of your seat to see how my garden grows.... or doesn't.  And try it over quinoa pasta; I fixed this at the Marin farmers' market this weekend with quinoa pasta, and as people were enjoying the samples, I asked if they noticed a difference in the pasta; they all loved it.  Another great way to get more protein in your diet, but still eat meatless meals -if you're unfamiliar with it, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a complete protein.  Enjoy!



Blistered Tomato-Basil Pesto                                                            Makes 2 cups
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
¼ cup chopped walnuts
2 medium-sized garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups loosely packed basil
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
·         Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
·         Add tomatoes and cook until skins begin to blister, about 5-6 minutes.  Remove from heat.
·         While tomatoes are cooking, place walnuts and garlic in a food processor process about 20 seconds.
·         Add basil and Parmesan and process until well combined.
·         With motor running, slowly pour the oil through the feed tube, followed by as much water as you need to reach deisred consitency.
·         Add tomaotes, pulsing to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment