Friday, October 14, 2011

Crazy for Pumpkin!

I grew up sure that I didn't like pumpkin.  Not like how I grew up thinking I didn't like coconut, only to realize in my 20's that I DID like coconut.  When I was a kid my dad told me that I didn't like coconut, so that he could eat all my Mounds and Almond Joy candy on Halloween.  But noone lied to me about pumpkin, least of all my taste buds.  But as I discovered with my Roasted Pumpkin Soup test last week, if you leave out the cloves and the allspice, I might just love it.

So I played around with an old Martha Stewart recipe for Chicken Enchiladas in Pumpkin Sauce.  I turned it into a layered casserole and added a few more ingredients to it.  I was going to make it for one of my clients, but it looked so good, I kept it for myself!!  I love making a big casserole and having lunch and dinner in a flash the rest of the week.  But with something this good, it takes a lot of willpower to get the portion control in check!



Start with covering the bottom of a casserole dish with pumpkin sauce.  Layer tortillas over the sauce and top with a mix of shredded chicken, sliced olives, diced green chiles, sliced scallions and a little cheese.  Top with more tortillas (I prefer corn) and the other half of the chicken mixture.  Top with more tortilas and cover with pumpkin sauce and (of course) cheese.

It bakes up in about 25 minutes, which you've got to love!  And if you buy one of those rotisserie chickens (preferably organic), you can get it in the oven in just the time it takes to open a couple cans of olives and green chiles.  Well, there's the pumpkin sauce, but that's pretty much a no-brainer, too. And boy, is it ever yummy...



Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce
Serves 6
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
salt & pepper
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 small can sliced olives
1 small can diced green chiles
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/3-1/2 cup milk
12 corn tortillas
  • Preheat oven to 400.
  •  Season both sides of chicken with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook chicken over medium high heat to 165 degrees.  When cool enough to handle, shred.
  • In a large bowl combine cooked chicken, scallions,olives, and green chiles.  Season with salt & pepper.
  • In a blender combine pumpkin puree, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, and cumin.  With motor running, slowly add milk to get the consistency you prefer.
  • Cover bottom of baking dish with pumpkin sauce.  Top with 4 tortillas, half the chicken mixture and 1/3 cup cheese.
  • Top with 4 more tortillas, the remaining half of chicken mixture, and 1/3 cup cheese.
  • Cover with remaining 4 tortillas and pour sauce over the top.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes until heated through.
I make a little spicy crema, mixing Greek yogurt and Siracha (or any hot sauce), and put a couple dollops on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment