Friday, March 30, 2012

Chicken Paillard

I taught two French Bistro classes this week, and I could eat this chicken every single, dingle day!  I lost my camera somewhere, so I don't have a picture of it, but it looks something like this:


Mine had a lot more herbs on it, and the flavors are fantastic - lemon zest, garlic, parsley & thyme.  I also use the French herb salt I told you about from All Star Organics.  And I serve it over baby lettuce (saves me from having to make a salad, too!)  Best of all, I make a simple pan sauce to drizzle over the chicken and roasted potatoes that I serve along side. Man, just writing about it makes me hungry all over again!  Trust me, this is one for your go-to recipe box:

Chicken Paillard
Serves 6
6 chicken breasts, pounded thin
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic (more if you like it good & garlicky, like me)
Zest from one lemon
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 cups baby greens
2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
·         Place chicken in a shallow baking dish or large plate.  Season both sides with salt & pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
·         In a small bowl combine thyme, parsley, garlic and lemon zest; rub mixture into chicken breasts.
·         Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Add chicken to hot skillet in a single layer, working in batches, if necessary.  Cook 3-5 minutes per side depending on thickness.  Remove from skillet and keep warm.
·         Return pan to heat and add butter.  Once melted, add flour and whisk 1-2 minutes to create a roux.  Whisk in the broth and Dijon.  When broth thickens slightly, remove from heat.
·         Place ½ cup of greens on a each plate (you may toss greens with lemon juice), add chicken breast and drizzle with sauce.
What are you waiting for.....get to the store!

2 comments:

  1. Basta Pasta!!

    Sounds delish! and ever since we ate that Tamale pie my thighs started touching again. Maybe you've got something here Suze.

    ReplyDelete