Monday, July 23, 2012

Mushroom Pate.....c'est magnifique!

Let's get a little wack-a-doo, shall we?
I was cleaning out my fridge today in preparation for a big week: two cooking classes and a wedding to cater.  I discovered a lot of mushrooms in the crisper, so I needed to figure out how to put them to good use.  The usuals came to mind: mushroom stroganoff, puff pastry pockets with creamy mushroom filling, roasted mushrooms, rosemary, and madiera over chicken.   But I'm in the mood for a challenge today....

So I got out my favorite culinary helper, The Flavor Bible, to look up what other ingredients mushroom like to hang out with, besides the ones I usually use.  There was a little blurb about a classic French pairing, called persillade: fresh parsley and garlic.  After sauteing mushrooms in butter, you add the parsley and garlic, hit it with a pinch of salt and call it a day. "That's all a mushroom needs most of the time."

This immediately took me back to my grandmere's kitchen.  She always had a bowl of fresh chopped parsley, diced onion, and minced garlic ready to go.  It was the foundation of her cooking.  These smells still take me back to the little girl in her kitchen wanting to learn and help...and eat!  So in honor of my grandmere, I decided to get my "French" on today. 

I grew up eating pate and other rich dishes from our French heritage.  As a kid I loved pate; I think it was because my grandmere and grandpere got such a kick out me enjoying such an adult food.  As an adult, however, I've lost my taste for it.  Too rich for me.  So with my wack-a-doo beret on, I came up with.....


Mushroom Pate!

I started out sauteing shallots and garlic in butter until softened.


Then I added crimini and shiitake mushrooms and cooked them until nicely browned.  To that I added parsley, thyme and a bit of red wine, and cooked that down to reduce the liquid and infuse the mushrooms with all that gorgeous flavor.  Lastly, I hit it with a bit of All Star Organics' French Herb Salt and fresh cracked pepper.

While the mushrooms were sauteing, I blended a cup of walnuts and some olive oil in the food processor to help make a base for the pate.  Process it until it become a soft paste.  This helps give you the consistency of an actual pate.


Add the mushroom mixture to the food processor along with a teaspoon of sherry and let 'er rip until completely smooth.  I couldn't wait to dig in, but the flavors only get better as it sits.  My friend Corinne came by, and I served us up a plate of pate and Grace Baking Chiabatta bread.   After her first couple bites she said, "good thing I ate before I got here or I would eat that entire bowl."  Yep, it's that good!!

Mushroom Pate
Makes 1 1/2 cups

2 tablespooons butter
1/2 cup chopped shallot
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/2 lbs crimini mushrooms
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
1/4 cup red wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne
1 cup walnuts
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sherry
  • Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
  • Add shallot and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
  • Add mushrooms and cook 5-8 minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.
  • Add wine, parsley, and thyme.  Turn heat up to high and continue cooking until liquid evaporates.
  • Meanwhile place walnuts in bowl of food processor and pulse to break down into breadcrumb consistency.  With motor running stream in the olive oil until a paste forms (you may need to stop and scrape down sides).
  • Add cooked mushroom mixture to food processor along with sherry and blend until completely smooth.  Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
  • Serve with crackers or baguette slices.

yum it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment