Monday, September 3, 2012

What a Weekend!

Three day weekends are made for fun, friends and food.  This Labor Day weekend has been no exception.  It also included another favorite of mine....road trips with the top down!


Did someone say "road trip?!"

Saturday was a trip out to Bodega Bay to get together for a party at my friend Jing's house.  Jing doesn't do anything halfway....this is the spread that we walked into:

And then there was this....


And this....


Apparently my friend Wesley doesn't do anything halfway either, bringing a coconut cream pie, a mixed berry pie and an apple galette! I didn't even get a picture of the table in the kitchen full of cookies and other sweets, or Chris from Gerard's cooking up batches of paella on the back deck.  I'm getting full all over again just thinking about it!  No, I didn't eat all of it....but I came too close.

The only safe place for me was sitting next to this...


I'm allergic to shrimp.  I'll sit here for a while!  I'm wearing my new skinny jeans and I'd like to keep being able to wear them.  Such a fun day visiting with friends, drinking wine, eating our heads off, telling stories and laughing...a lot.



After overindulging a little bit on Saturday, I was really looking forward to visiting my friend Janice in Inverness on Sunday to go kayaking on Tomales Bay.  A little fun exercise was definitely in order! 

And now one more day of indulgence.... Labor Day is a big barbeque day.  Burgers, burgers everywhere. I'll be making a healthy, delicious (and oh so easy) alternative to the basic burger; my salmon burger.  I was saving this for a post on Budget-Friendly Meals, but I'm busting it out now.  I serve this over baby spinach tossed with sauteed shiitakes and a little Sirracha/Greek yogurt spicy sauce, but of course it's yummy on a bun with all your favorite condiments. 


Salmon Burgers
Serves 3

1 6-oz can wild Alaskan salmon
3/4 cups panko
1 egg, beaten
1 stalk celery, diced
2 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons capers, with a little juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Mix all ingredients except the oil in a bowl until well combined.
  • Form into 3 patties.
  • Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and cook 3-4 minutes per side until cooked through.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the such kinds of blog. Post regarding to ways to eat healthy and provides such a valuable information about health and eat related. Thanks for sharing. !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I'll keep cooking if you'll keep reading.....
      Suzanne

      Delete