Friday, June 7, 2013

Curry Up Already!

People ask me all the time where I get my recipe inspirations.  There are lots of ways...sometimes desperation (I'm hungry and I have to figure out something with what's available in my kitchen), sometimes it's the students at Bauman College with their young, creative minds, and often it's seeing a recipe somewhere that sparks an idea in me.



The latter is what we have here....I saw a recipe for a tofu curry dish, and what hit me most was the fried (did she say "fried"???!!) shallots that created a base of flavor and then became a garnish. I loved that idea, and it was something I hadn't done before (you know me and fried food!), so I decided to try my own variation on the dish. 



I started with pan frying a couple large shallots in coconut oil.  I love using coconut oil in ethnic dishes, because it gives a really nice background of flavor.  After a few minutes, when they start to brown, I added fresh curry leaves (you can find them at an Asian Market; there's a great one in San Rafael across Mary Street from Whole Foods), garlic and Madras curry powder.  Madras curry powder is a little spicier than regular curry powder, but you can use what you've got, just use a little more if it's not Madras.


I removed the curry leaves (they can be a little bitter to bite into later), and about half the crispy shallots for garnish.  What you're left with is a beautifully flavored oil, to which I added cooked, shredded chicken.


When the chicken is heated a bit, I added some sliced water chestnuts for crunch and a can of coconut milk (buy the full fat version, you're not drinking the whole thing!)  Give it a little pinch of salt, coconut palm sugar (you know I don't do white sugar), and red pepper flakes.  Sautee a little longer and throw in a couple handfuls of baby spinach.  The spinach adds a nice pop of color and the fiber you need to feel full.


Once the spinach is wilted, pour this deliciousness over some brown jasmine rice, top it with a little of the reserved crispy shallots and start writing me a thank you note!  Soooooo good!



Chicken Curry with Crispy Shiitakes
Serves 4

2 tablespoons coconut oil
½ cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2 large)
10 fresh curry leaves
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
3 teaspoons Madras curry powder
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 14-oz can coconut milk
1 8-oz can water chestnuts, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons chopped basil

·         Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add shallots and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
·         Add curry leaves, garlic and curry powder and continue cooking for a few minutes to infuse the oil with all the flavors.
·         Remove the curry leaves and discard.  Remove half the shallots for garnish.
·         Add cooked chicken to the skillet and cook until warmed through.
·         Add coconut milk and water chestnuts and  cook, stirring, for a couple minutes.
·         Season with palm sugar, salt and red pepper flakes, and cook an additional minute.
·         Add spinach and basil and cook, stirring to coat spinach until wilted, about 3 minutes.
·         Serve over brown jasmine or basmati rice and top with crispy shallots.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete