Sunday, October 3, 2010

You say "tomato"...

...I say "yes, please!"

Went to Bistro Don Giovanni in Napa today for lunch.  This is my friend Stephanie's "Blondie Mary" - a Bloody Mary made with yellow tomatoes in a salt & pepper rimmed glass topped with two little tomatoes.  And so started my day of tomato lovin'.

We started with a fantastic bruschetta, followed by their tomato and rustic bread soup...both fantastic.  I should have stopped there, but becasue I ignored my "eat breaksfast" rule in lieu of the snooze button this morning, I was pretty hungry (I warned me about that!), so I also had a little one-on-one time with their mushroom risotto.  Just writing about it makes me full all over again.

Although I swore to never eat again, dinner time did rear its ugly head.  I decided to keep it light and make my favorite summer salad, the Panzanella.  There are a million variations of this salad, but they all start with bread and tomatoes.  I use sourdough baguette cubes sauteed in a small amount of olive oil and salt (about 5-8 minutes).  A couple minutes before the bread is done, I add a handful of sliced red onion to the same skillet.  In a bowl, toss the bread, onion, a couple of juicy heirloom tomatoes cut in cubes, basil, capers and mozzarella.  When you are ready to eat drizzle with lemon-infused olive oil and balsamic.  The bread soaks up the vinegar and oil, so don't dress it early.


The Panzanella salad was born of necessity, in a time when nothing was wasted (what else do you do with stale bread?), and often included lots of vegetables and other ingredients.  So give it a try and put your own spin on it...

1 comment:

  1. "I warned me about that." That was a good one. Your day really was full of tomatos and bread.....This is my favorite post so far!

    ReplyDelete