Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Healthier Risotto

It was going to be one of those days.  First of all, I spent a good five minutes walking around my house looking for a pair of my "cheaters" reading glasses.  Once I found them I went to put them on my face only to find....that I was already wearing a pair! Not my finest moment. (And don't you think I should've found them faster, since I was wearing glasses??)

 
So it shouldn't be surprising that my brain cramp might not be done with me yet. The perfect blog entry came my way when Bauman College's Chef Marcella said, "Let's make a farro risotto today." I was excited because I had been toying with this idea for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it.  Farro (also known as spelt, which sounds much less sexy) is a whole grain, which you know I dig over "the white stuff."  In the case of risotto, that white stuff is arborio rice.  Tasty and so creamy, but not a whole lot going for it in the nutrition game. Farro, on the other hand, is a great source of protein and fiber (at least double that of most common commercial grains), stimulates the immune system and helps lower cholesterol.    

OK, back to the brain cramp.... I prepped the ingredients and diligently took pictures along the way of all the beautiful produce in preparation for my blog post:
...the rainbow carrots,
the sugar snap peas (THAT'S a labor of love and a good excuse to get a manicure the next day; fingernails aren't supposed to be green, are they???),

 
red onion, leeks, and asparagus.

And then what do you think happened?  Did you guess that I ate my entire bowl of wildly good risotto, left class, drove home and then realized as I walked in the door that I forgot to take a picture of the final product!!?

So bummer, guess I have to make it again.  And EAT it again.  Poor me.

Farro Risotto
Serves  4

3 cups vegetable broth (you know I love Trader Joe's low sodium one)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 bunch asparagus, cut on the diagonal in 1" pieces
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup farro
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (I used lemon thyme...because I grow it and it's my favorite)
1/3 cup peas
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup goat gouda (that's cheese, people)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

  • Bring broth to a simmer over medium heat.  Keep warm, but don't allow to boil.
  • Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  • Add onions and saute, stirring occassionally, for five minutes until beginning to soften.
  • Add asparagus and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  • Stir in farro and toast for 2 minutes.
  • Begin adding broth a half a cup at a time and stirring constanlty until liquid is absorbed.  (Sometimes I add water to the broth if I start to run low, so I am sure to have enough warm liquid to add; you never want to add cold liquid)
  • Continue adding broth a little at a time until farro is soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
  • Add peas, thyme, half and half and cheese.  Stir until fully combined.
  • Stir in lemon zest and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Top with chopped nuts.
Thank me later!!!


1 comment:

  1. I feel happier and healthier just looking at the photos! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete