Monday, April 30, 2012

Seared Scallops

A few weeks ago I got the idea to make some juicy seared scallops, but visits to three different stores left me empty handed, so I moved on to something else.  But I couldn't get those little nuggets out of my head.  After my paella posting, I thought it was time to offer you a quick-cooking recipe, and scallops definitely fit the bill.  They cook up in less than 10 minutes, including time to make a yummy sauce to go with them, making them perfect for those nights when you want to get dinner on the table in a hurry.
Now you may be asking yourself why, instead of a picture of my beautiful scallops, is there a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Well somewhere in that San Fransisco Bay lies my brand new smartphone, and the pictures of my scallops.  The phone was smart; it's owner, not so much.  I was picking my mother up from a cruise on Saturday, and while walking up the ramp to greet her, my phone fell out of my tiny jacket pocket (much to small to hold a phone, I realized too late!) and slid down the ramp and right into an opening just slightly larger than my phone, dropping into the bay.  Really??!  Yes, really.

So here's a pic of seared scallops that I didn't take (my pots are in much better shape!).  But trust me on this one; it's easy, fast and delicious!  I served them over Trader Joe's spinach & chive fettuccine and topped it with a quick, creamy sauce.  It's dinner time in no time with this one....

Seared Scallops and Pasta
Serves 2

½ pound spinach fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
6 large scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper
½ cup dry white wine
1t minced garlic
3T lemon juice
1 tablespoon capers
1t lemon zest
1t fresh thyme leaves
2T half & half
·         Cook fettuccine according to directions.  Reserve ¼ cup cooking water, then drain and return to pot.
·         While pasta cooks, melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
·         When butter starts to brown slightly, add scallops and sear about 3 to ­4 minutes per side.
·         Remove from skillet and keep warm.
·         Reduce heat to medium and add wine to the skillet, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom.
·         Add garlic and cook 1 to ­2 minutes, stirring often.
·         Add lemon juice, capers, lemon zest and thyme.
·         Remove from heat and stir in the half & half.  Add reserved pasta water to help extend sauce if needed.
·         Place pasta in a bowl, top with scallops and pour sauce over the top.

Pour yourself a glass of Sauvingnon Blanc and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. We have vegetarian friends that do eat fish when we're together. Think we'll be preparing this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete