Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Veggie Pot Pie.....Oh MY!

For me, cooking is not just a passion or a business; it's like a drug. I need to do it.  I get a little "itchy" if I'm kept from it.  So last Friday, knowing that I was looking at a weekend away, filled with dining out and no chance of cooking, I had to get a quick fix in before I left.  Well....bettter make it good.


...and it was!!  Veggie Pot Pie.

I've been dreaming about pot pies for weeks.  My friend Ken has been raving about a wonderful chicken pot pie he gets at a market nearby, and last week he brought me one.  It was delicious, and anytime I eat something that inspiring, I try to figure out how to make it myself....and make it even better (and healthier).

First of all, I had to deal with the dough.  I'm just not a fan of baking.  It's important to measure and be precise, and that's just not my style.  I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl.  So I opted to use Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets.  The thing about the way I cook and teach is that I like things to be easy, approachable, and most of all quick.  So the puff pastry sheets made all that possible.  The rest of the recipe comes together in no time.

You can use any seasonal vegetables that you like, but I have a special love of mushrooms.  They're meaty and add great texture, so I can skip the meat. They're also one of the most nutritious veggies out there, full of disease fightling vitamins and minerals.  I sauteed portobellos, crimini and shiitakes with sweet onion, diced carrot and baby spinach.  Now there are certain foods that naturally scream out for other ingredients.  In the case of mushrooms they love rosemary and sherry.  Who am I to keep them apart?
What would a pot pie be without that creamy sauce the veggies swim in?  This is where it gets genius.  Originally I was planning on making a veloute.  Veloute is one of the five "mother sauces," and takes a little bit of time and attention to make.  It's not hard, but it's also not easy.....and you know I like easy.  So instead, I pulled the skillet off the heat and stirred in a 7 ounce container of creme fraiche.  I tasted it (always taste your food before you serve it...more salt, pepper, spice???) and did one of those "growls" the students at Bauman pointed out to me that I make when my taste buds are particularly happy.
Lastly, top with a square of puff pasrty, brush with egg  and bake to golden, crispy goodness!
Oh yeah, baby!

Veggie Pot Pie
Serves 4

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb shiitakes, sliced
1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 portobello mushrooms, stem and gills removed, caps thinly sliced
2 carrots, diced
1 small onion, thinly sliced

4 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup sherry
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon French Herb Salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
7 ounces creme fraiche
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (time it right so it doesn't sit too long or it's difficult to work with)
1 egg, lightly beaten
  • Preheat oven to 450°.
  • Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  • Add mushrooms, onions and carrots and saute 8-10 minutes.
  • Add spinach, sherry, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted, stirring occassionally.
  • Remove from heat and stir in the creme fraiche.
  • Unfold the thawed puff party sheet.  On a floured surface, with a lightly dusted rolling pin, roll out to a 12" square and cut into 4 equal squares.
  • Divide veggie mixture between four 8 ounce ramekins.  Top with puff pasrty, folding down around the rim.
  • Pierce all over top with a fork and brush with egg.
  • Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
So glad I still had a couple waiting for me when I got back home....

No comments:

Post a Comment