Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Breakfast Pizza

So let's talk again about my 80/20 rule.  80% of the time I'm a healthy eater, so I don't beat myself up if 20% of the time I stray from the path .  Well, this one is pretty much in the 20% club.  And I love it!

A few months ago I went on pizza-making binge. I learned how to make a great dough and perfected my own tomato-based pizza sauce.  Then I played around with a host of toppings.  I had A LOT of pizzas for lunch and dinner for about a month, and haven't been able to eat a slice since.  My hands-down favorite was Potato, Leek and Rosemary with Pt Reyes Bleu Cheese.  But that all changed Sunday morning.... breakfast pizza, anyone?

Start by rolling out the dough ( I used Mario Batali's recipe) on a lightly floured surface to the thickness you like.  (I like mine thin and crispy). Then sprinkle some cornmeal on a peel and place your dough on top.  The cornmeal will act like little ball bearings and allow your pizza to slide off the peel and onto the oven grate (thanks for the tip, Tom!)
Next saute some sweet or spicy sausage.  When brown and crispy, add a couple tablespoons of flour, stirring into the rendered fat to create a roux.  Then add some half and half (I'm partial to Straus Family Creamery) and continue stirring until thickened.  While that's going on, simply scramble a few eggs until softly set.  Don't cook them all the way through, because they will continue to cook in the oven.

Pour the sausage and gravy mixture onto the dough, top with the eggs, and sprinkle with chopped scallions.

Fortunately it bakes in about 10 minutes, because that's about all the time I could possibly wait to get this fabulous pie in my belly!  Burned the roof of my mouth on this one.....just couldn't wait.  You shouldn't wait either; try it tomorrow morning. You can thank me later...

1 comment: