Friday, June 29, 2012

Watermelon and Mint Salad

I promise I'm not turning this into a salad blog!  It's just that at this time of year when the weather warms up, I eat a lot more salads. I love playing around with different ingredients and flavor pairings.  This is why many of my friends call me "The Salad Queen."

When I went to Earl's Organic a couple weeks ago, I spied some beauties... watermelon!  That is my all-time favorite summer snack.  Then local foodie and blogger, Karen Pavone, booked a private cooking party with me to celebrate her birthday.  Karen and I share the same passion for local, fresh, in-season produce, so I set to planning a dinner that would meet her Farm to Table philosophy.  And those litttle watermelon starting speaking to me.

My first thought was a watermelon and mint kebab appetizer with a honey & creme fraiche drizzle, but as we played around with the menu, it turned into a salad idea instead.  Karen's only request, "Can we still have that creme fraiche drizzle?"  Well, I aim to please, so sure thing!

Couldn't be simpler, and soooo refreshing! Toss arugula with white balsamic and olive oil, then top with goat cheese, mint and watermelon cubes. Watermelon and balsamic love each other, but the regular balsamic will change the color of the watermelon, so be sure to use white.  This process is how I make all my salads, I always toss just the greens with dressing and then add the other ingredients on top.  If you toss all the salad ingredents together, the good stuff drops to the bottom and it doesn't look as appealing.  As long as your greens are dressed, you're good.  And everyone will get all the little additions sitting up on top.  And of course, there's a little creme fraich & honey drizzle on this one.  A perfect blend: peppery arugula, tangy vinegar, crisp melon, creamy chevre, and sweet honey.

I bought a small five pound watermelon, and we used about half for the salad (6-8 servings).  I put the other half of the cubes on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer overnight.  They are now tasty little fruit "ice cubes" that I pop into my water pitcher.  They also make a nice little refreshing snack when the mercury rises.  I appreciate this, cuz I already feel like I'm running about 106 degrees!

Watermelon & Mint Salad
serves 4-6                                                                                                                   
4 cups cubed watermelon
5 ounces arugula
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
5 ounces chevre, crumbled
¼ cup fresh mint, chiffonade, plus extra sprigs for garnish
¼  cup crème fraiche
1 tablespoons honey
Salt & pepper to taste, optional
·         Cut the flesh from the watermelon into bite-sized cubes and set aside.
·         In a small bowl, mix crème fraiche and honey, set aside.
·         In a large bowl toss arugula with oil and vinegar.
·         Add watermelon, chevre and mint and drizzle with honey-crème fraiche.
·         Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and garnish with mint sprigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment