Sunday, January 12, 2014

Scallops in Tarragon Cream Sauce

Every once in a while I get a real craving for scallops; not sure why.  And yesterday was one of those days.  They're super tasty, but best of all, they cook up in no time flat, just about 6-8 minutes.  Got to love that.  As I always say, "I love to cook, but I love to eat even more...so I want to get to it as quickly as possible."

I've made scallops in citrus cream before, to great reviews, and now I was ready for a new spin: Tarragon Cream Sauce.

I had a big fat planter box built in my backyard a few months ago, but with our dire drought conditions here in Northern California, I don't want to plant anything until we get some rain.  It breaks my heart to look at that empty 30 foot box, so I decided I could at least grow some herbs in pots - easy to water minimally.  In addition to the usual suspects, I picked a few that I don't use often enough: sage, marjoram and tarragon.

I chose to build my scallop dish around tarragon this time....
 
 
..but I can't start much of anything without onions.  So let's get a little sweet red onion going in some butter, and throw in a couple sprigs of tarragon.
 
 
Then pour in some half and half (or cream if you're extra naughty...and not a girl newly dating - got to keep those skinny jeans happy!) and just let that simmer for about 20-30 minutes on low.
 
 
Meanwhile, heat up some olive oil in a separate skillet, and toss in some sliced cremini mushrooms and chopped tarragon and let it hang out for a few minutes.
 
 
Season your big, fat, juicy scallops with a little sea salt and pepper.  Move the mushrooms to the sides of the skillet, and add the scallops to the middle of the pan.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, getting a nice little browned searing on each side.
 
 
When the scallops are nearly done, give them a little squeeze of lemon, add the tarragon sauce to the pan and continue to cook for one more minute, tossing to coat.
 
You can serve over pasta or rice or nothing at all, but I like to serve it on a bed of baby spinach - I like the look of the added color, but really like not having to fix a salad or a veggie side to go with this!  That makes it a nearly one-pot meal.
 
I promise you, you'll love this one.
Oh yeah...and you can thank me later......
 

Scallops in Tarragon Cream Sauce
Serves 4
 
Tarragon Cream Sauce:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
¼ cup minced red onion
2 sprigs tarragon
1 ¼ cup half & half
Sea salt & pepper to taste

Scallops:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 lb scallops
Pinch sea salt & pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
4 cups baby spinach
·         In a small saucepan, melt butter and add onion.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. 
·         Add tarragon sprigs and continue cooking one minute.
·         Add half & half, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced.
·         Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
·         Add mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
·         Add chopped tarragon, and continue cooking a couple minutes.
·         Season scallops with salt and pepper.
·         Move mushrooms to sides of skillet and add scallops.  Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until seared and golden brown.  Drizzle with lemon juice.
·         Remove tarragon sprigs from sauce and pour over scallops and mushrooms.
·         Serve on top of baby spinach.
 
Cook Happy!



2 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious! I'll have to try it sometime.... scallops are my husbands fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's soooo easy and sooooo good! My friend Chris told me she made it for her family the other night, and they loved it so much that they had it again for lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete