Monday, November 29, 2010

Shepherd-ish Pie

I was housesittiing for a friend the past 11 days and away from my computer, but I am back with a blogging vengeance.  The weather had turned cold here in the Bay Area, and that makes me want to cook warm, comforting foods.... like my version of a shepherd's pie.  Mashed potatoes may very well be my favorite food, and I'm a huge fan of one pot meals, so years ago when I first heard about this dish with meat and veggies topped with mashed potatoes, I was in!

Now, friends have told me I should never tell this story (it doesn't really instill confidence in my cooking), but it was years ago, and it's a good one, so here goes... my first crack at Shepherd's Pie.

I think it was Real Simple magazine that had a recipe each month that was a kind of "cheat" version, a short cut of a more complicated dish.  I should have known it wouldn't end well because A) every time I've taken a "short cut" to avoid traffic, it ends up taking me much longer than if I had just stayed on the highway and B) the recipe called for boxed mashed potatoes, which shouldn't be consumed by anyone not living in a dorm.

I'm still going to maintain that the recipe could've been written better, but even my friend Jacqueline who admittedly doesn't cook, started laughing so hard that she was crying when I said that since the recipe didn't say to cook the fake potatoes first, I just sprinkled them on top...the whole 4 cups of them!  So that was a disaster and went right into the trash.   I think I ate cereal that night.

A couple days later I decided that this recipe was NOT going to get the best of me, so I tried again.  This time I cooked the potatoes first, but again I maintain that the recipe wasn't written well... what I eventually figured out was that they were going for 4 cups of cooked potatoes.  The reicpe, however, just said "4 cups instant mashed potates", so I cooked 4 cups of the flakes, which yielded a boatload of cooked potatoes.  And, you guessed it, I went ahead and threw them right on top of my meat and veggie mixture, all the while saying "this just doesn't seem right."  The weight of the mountain of potatoes reduced the rest of the food to about 1/4 inch.  While that attempt was edible from an "at least it won't make you sick" standpoint, it was pretty much inedible.  So I threw out the recipe and the idea that I would ever make shepherd's pie again.

But today's a new day, and I'm a much better cook.  Sorry guys, this is one of my no-recipe dishes - I think I'm categorically opposed to writing a recipe for it given my history.  But it's super simple and adaptable; just remember to taste as you go when you start seasoning.

I start with baking about 4 large sweet potaotes (you can use the traditional russet potatoes, but sweet potaotes give it a nice flavor and are full of antioxidants.  Best of all, they help stabilize blood sugar levels and inprove the body's use of insulin.  I have a nephew with Type 1 diabetes, so I am always looking for good food to help him out.  If you are caring for anyone with diabetes, get sweet potaotes on your menu.

While the potatoes are baking, saute 1 chopped medium onion in a tablespoon of olive oil.  After about 5 minutes add whatever veggies you like; I use chopped bell peppers, carrots and corn (frozen works, too). Peas are a traditional veggie in a shepherd's pie, but I'm not a big fan.
After another 5 minutes or so, add 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground turkey, and your favorite seasonings.  I like to use thyme, smoked paprika, garlic powder and sage.  Just sprinkle a little at a time and taste as you go.  Remember you can always add more, but you can't take it away.  Cook until turkey is no longer pink.
When potaotes are done, split them open and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.  In a large bowl mash the potatoes with a splash of milk, 1 or 2 tablespoons butter and a couple teaspoons of  pure maple syrup. 
Fill a cassetrole dish with the meat and veggie mixture and top with the sweet potaotes.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Who the heck needs a short cut?!

No comments:

Post a Comment