Sunday, October 31, 2010

Feeling kinda saucy...

I recently joined a CSA of organic fruit and veggies.  I had put it off for years because in Marin County I can go to a farmer's market 5 days a week, year round.  In the spring/summer months I can go to two or more every day (I don't actually do that, but I could if I were really crazy for farmer's markets - or farmers).  I always thought the veggie boxes were for people who didn't have access to farmer's markets or good organic produce.  But about a month ago I was feeling my culinary creativity slipping a bit and realized that I wasn't "cooking outside the box".  I was buying the same stuff at the market every week and cooking virtually the same types of meals over and over (but dang, that Mexicali Skillet is delicious!).  So I decided to step out of my comfort zone and get a mystery box of fruit and veggies delivered to my door every other week. Technically it's not a mystery box; you can go online and see what they are sending you, but it inevitablly includes things I may not have picked up on my own.

This week I got carrots and spinach and instead of turning them into an ordinary side dish, I turned them into delicious sauces.  The carrot sauce is fantastic over pasta, and the spinach and herb sauce is one of the most versatile sauces I've ever made - perfect with pasta and grains, over seafood and chicken, even tossed in a salad.  It contains neither oil or nuts, but is every bit as good as any pesto you ever met.  I have to hurry up and finish this...I'm making me hungry.

Spinach & Herb Sauce
1 bunch spinach
handful of flat-leaf parsley (or cilantro)
handful of fresh basil
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespooon fresh lemon juice
1 large tomato, quartered
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Place spinach, parsley, basil and cloves in the bowl of a food processor and blend all ingredients.  Add salt, pepper and lemon juice, pulsing to combine.  Add tomato and cheese and blend for 1-2 minutes until sauce is smooth. Season to taste.

Carrot Sauce over Penne Rigate
1 pound penne rigate (rigate has the ridges that grab onto the sauce)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bunch medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup frshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon chopped chives or mint
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan (optional)

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package.

Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium high heat.  Add onion, carrot and garlic and cook 5-7 minutes until veggies begin to soften.   Add curry powder, salt, garam masala, and pepper pepper, stirring to combine.  Add stock, juice and maple syrup.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until carrots are soft.  Transfer to blender and, working in batches, blend until smooth adding some of the pasta water to thin it if necessary.

Toss sauce with drained pasta and top with chopped herbs and parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment