Friday, February 25, 2011

The long awaited Mexicali Skillet

I've talked abut this dish before.  It's my go-to dinner.  There are certain things that are always on hand in my kitchen: black beans, onions, olives, peppers, frozen corn, mushrooms, spinach, corn tortillas, and cheese (if they had a Betty Ford Clinic for cheese, I'd have to check myself in - thank God they don't).  When I'm hungry and want something fast and yummy, I throw together this Mexicali Skillet.  It's full of healthy vegetables and gets a nice kick from chipotle chili powder....I think I could eat it every day.

I try to throw as many vegetables as I can into the dishes I fix, whether it's an omelet, mac 'n cheese, or stir fry. It's even better if I can do that all in one skillet - I spend enough time doing dishes after my cooking classes; when it's just me, I like to keep the dishes to a minimum.  That's another reason why this is one of my favorites.  All it takes is my cast iron skillet.  Well, and a plate..... sometimes.

I make this pure vegetarian, but you can easily add cooked chicken  or beef if you're so inclined.  If you add cooked rice to this, you get a complete protein from the rice and the beans together.  So it's a great way to get a filling, satisfying meatless meal into your week.  I really believe that we could all do better with a few more plant-based dinners in our lives.  Maybe this one will be your springboard....

Before I start, let me just say a thing or two about eating seasonally.  I love putting corn and red bell pepper (or yellow or orange) in this, but they are not always in season.  If I can't find it at my farmer's market I really try to not use it.  When you walk into your favorite grocery store, it looks like everything is in season year round.  We may forget that's not the case.  I think you'll find better flavor if you buy a frozen version; they are flash frozen when they are in season and tend to be more flavorful that the "fresh" out-of-season version.  Or just leave those ingredients out alltogether and bump up the veggies that are in season.

I start with a little olive oil in a skillet and throw in thinly sliced onions and mushrooms.  Let that hang out for about 5-8 minutes or so, until the onions become soft and the mushrooms start to brown.  Add a chopped jalapeno or two depending on your "spicy quotient", and sliced red bell pepper (Trader Joe's frozen bell pepper medley is a good out-of-season choice).  Next throw in a can of black beans, some frozen corn kernels and a sprinkling of chipotle chile powder, cumin and coriander. Slice a couple corn tortillas into strips and add to the skillet.  Stir it up good and let it cook through for a few minutes. At the last minute add some sliced black olives and a few handfuls of baby spinach; it'll wilt down in no time. 
Take it off the heat and stir in some cheese - pepper jack or sharp cheddar are the faves here.  If you're feeling a little naughty, and you don't mind washing an extra bowl, stir some Sriracha or any hot sauce into a little Greek yogurt (sour cream, if you must, but that's really naughty)  and place a nice little dollop on top.
This is happiness in a bowl, my friends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment