Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year


I've been a bad kitten with this blog, but today is a new day, and it's a new year.  My resolution is to write about good food and good health, giving you lots of ideas and resources to live a happy, healthy and delicious new year.  So let's start with my top three list of simple, healthy things to do in 2012...

#1 Visit a farmers' market at least once a month or subscribe to a CSA.
If you only shop in your local supermarket, you never know what's truly in season.  You'll find tomatoes, berries, peppers, corn, etc. year-round.  But when you shop at a farmers' market you get to experience what really grows seasonally in your area, generally within 100 miles.  There are many reasons I encourage this: you're buying fresh produce at the peak of flavor and most nutritious; you support local farmers who, by nature of their farming practices, often turn out more nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables; you reduce your "carbon footprint" by not purchasing produce flown in from other countries and then trucked across the states.  They are all reason enough to visit a farmers' market, but my biggest reason is that if you're willing (and I hope you are) you will try something new, something that isn't on your usual shopping list.  I used to buy the same things every time I went grocery shopping, but when I started frequenting my farmers' market I began buying things I never would have tried otherwise.  Things I had never used before, some that I'd never even heard of.  Farmers love to tell you about their produce and how to store and cook them, and google will give you a wealth of recipes for whatever you find.  Make this the year you start cooking outside the box.  To find a farmers' market near you or to find a farm that will deliver to you (CSA) visit http://www.localharvest.org/

#2  Wean yourself off "the white stuff"
White rice, white bread and white (you probably know it as "enriched") pasta all started out as whole grains, but then the germ and bran were removed, and along with it most of the nutrients.  These "white" versions spike your blood sugar and offer little to no nutrients.  Trust me, this is an easy change....

Think you can't live without white rice?  Try Trader Joe's brown basmati rice.  My mother practically walked away from me every time I said that she should try brown rice instead of white rice. Truth be told, I probably said something along the lines of "white rice is the devil!" so I can understand her walking away.  But then she took one of my cooking classes where I used TJ's brown basmati rice, and I heard her tell one of her friends the next day "I'll never buy white rice again."  If you knew my mom, you would realize what a ringing endorsement that is.  And I don't care what the package says, it cooks up in 25 minutes, so don't think that it's more time consuming that your old stand-by.

Love pasta?  Try quinoa pasta.  Ancient Harvest makes a fantastic line of pastas that are gluten-free and naturally packed with protein.  I used a couple different varieties in my cooking demos this summer at the Marin and Sonoma farmers' markets, and people overwhelmingly told me how delicious it was.  If you live in Marin, United market has a great selection.  Definitely worth a try.  Or hit the link above to order online.

#3 Try Meatless Mondays
Not only is it obviously better for your wallet, it's also better for you health, and if you follow suggestion #1, it's better for the planet, too.  Having a meal filled with local, seasonal veggies gives you a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.  For me, it's also a chance to "cook outside the box."  I get a little more creative when I prepare a vegetarian meal.  It's so easy to grill a chicken breast or whip up a burger, but met with a kitchen counter filled with kale, squash, onions, mushrooms, fresh herbs, etc. it challenges my brain and my senses to figure out how to bring it all together into a delicious, satisfying dish.  After reading Skinny Bitch and watching Food Inc. almost three years ago, I tried to give up all animal protein.  I lasted about 6 months.  I think it takes a lot of planning and knowledge (neither if which I had enough of) to be a devoted vegetarian (or vegan ), so I just try to incorporate more meatless meals (I'm not just talking salad for lunch here) into my week.  Two great sources for recipes and ideas are Eating Well (search their vegetarian collection) and Vegetarian Times.  Don't be afraid....

If I could add a 4th, it would be "Take a Cooking Class."  Sure, shameless plug for my classes, but I really believe that getting comfortable in the kitchen and learning some new tricks and tips is so good for you, your health, and your soul.

Here's to happy cooking and a happy, healthy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment