Friday, November 22, 2013

Grilled Persimmon Salad

My friend Chris came to a cooking class last week and brought me a gy-normous persimmon from her garden.  She plopped it in my hand and said, "See what you can do with that!"


It's been sitting there in my fruit basket staring at me every time I walk in to the kitchen.  Taunting me..."hey, what are you going to do with me?"  I know they're great in salad, so I went to the market for a little inspiration.  I came home with a pomegranate (it's color goes so beautifully with the persimmon, and gives the salad a nice little crunch), an avocado and a package of romaine hearts.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  But there that persimmon sat for the past few days.
 
 
So today after spending a few hours working in my office, I was getting hungry.  I was in the mood for something warm, but I also wanted something easy.  And there was that persimmon looking at me.  And then I got an idea.
 
 

I absolutely love a grilled salad!  it's so much more interesting than just plain ol' romaine leaves.  Cut the romaine in half and brush with olive oil.  Cut the persimmon into wedges (I only used about half of that guy), and place it all on a hot grill (got to love California weather; it's almost Thanksgiving and I'm still grilling).  In just about 3 minutes, flip the romaine and persimmon pieces and let it grill up on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.  You can serve the romaine whole , which makes for a very pretty presentation, but I think it's easier to eat if you cut it up.
 
 

I chopped half the avocado and added it to the salad along with the pomegranate seeds,  and then made a quick dressing with the other half.  I dig this salad more than I ever thought I would. Grilling the persimmon give is a sweet, smoky, peppery flavor and it's so tender.  Mixing it with the sweet and crunchy pomegranate seeds was genius (can I say that?)...and makes it sooo pretty.

I think this festive salad is worthy of being on your holiday table this season.

Grilled Persimmon Salad
Serves 2

1 large head Romaine hearts
1 medium persimmon, cut into 12 wedges
1 pomegranate
1 avocado
Juice of half a lemon
2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
Pinch salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for grilling
  • Preheat grill to medium high heat.
  • Cut romaine in half lengthwise, keeping stem in tact.  Brush cut side with olive oil.
  • Place romaine and persimmons on grill, close cover and cook 3 minutes.
  • Flip romaine and persimmons over and grill an additional 2-3 minutes, until persimmons are slightly tender.
  • Cut avocado in half.  Chop half for salad.
  • Place the other half in a small blender or mini chopper, add lemon juice, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.  Blend until combined, then with the motor running, slowly add olive oil and a little water if needed to thin out the dressing.
  • Place romaine on plates, top with persimmons and avocado.  Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle with dressing.

You can thank me later......


No comments:

Post a Comment