Sunday, July 22, 2012

Stuffed Zucchini.... Thai Style

I grew this little beauty! Yes, ME!  It's an 8 ball zucchini.  Not sure how big you're supposed to grow them (I'm a squash virgin); this guy is a little over 4 inches in diameter.  I was so impressed with myself and so enamoured with it that I just left him sitting on the counter for the past week, just so I could look at it and well with pride every time I walked into the kitchen.  It's like the time I fixed the GFCI outlet thingy in the kitchen (all by myself!).  I used to walk into the kitchen at night just to see the little glow of the green light.....it's the little things.

Today it was time to let the 8 ball do what it was destined to do.....feed me in a super yummy way.  I didn't want to just chop it up and put it into something...too boring.  It needs to be stuffed and baked.  First I cooked up a little brown basmati rice in coconut milk (do it!)  While that was going I sauteed onions, carrots, ginger, and a banana pepper that grew right next to the zucchini (together again).

When it was beautifully cooked, I tossed in some basil (yes, from my yard....look at me go!) and chopped tomato (not from my yard, sore subject).  I added the cooked coconut rice, a little salt and red pepper flakes (you know I like it spicy!).  Took a taste and..... yeah, the happy dance!!  So simple, so few ingredients, but such a fantastic blend of flavors.  And it makes your house smell delicious, too!!

I cut off the top third of the zucchini, and scooped out the seedy, fleshy center, then stuffed my rice mixture into it and baked it for 25 minutes.

Fortunately there was a little extra filling left over, because my mouth was watering and 25 minutes was going to be toooo long.  But 25 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook the squash, so it's tender, but with a little bit of bite to it still, and the rice on top gets a little crispy. But cut it in half and you see all that soft, creamy filling....great textures going on here, my friends!  To make this a vegetarian entree instead of a side dish, I'll add some garbanzo beans to the filling next time (oh yes, there will be a next time!); the beans and rice combo will give you a complete protein.

What's left to say????  Dig IN!!!

Stuffed Zucchini
Serves 2 (unless you're me!)

1 8 ball zucchini, about 4-5" in diameter (or hollow out regular zucchini; filling will probably fill 4)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup brown basmati rice
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, remove seeds and chop
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 carrot, shredded
1 small roma tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped basil
Salt & pepper to taste
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Cut off the top third of the zucchini and scoop out the seeds and flesh from center to create a bowl. Reserve top.
  • Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan and toast rice for 2-3 minutes.  Add coconut milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until cooked (Trader Joe's brown basmati takes about 25 minutes).
  • While rice cooks, heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
  • Add onion, pepper and ginger and cook until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
  • Add carrot, tomato and basil and remove from heat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper (maybe a little red pepper flakes??)
  • Stir in the rice and fill cavity of zucchini.
  • Bake 25 minutes until zucchini is softened.

Hey, look.....no cheese!
I gotta go eat that other half now....

6 comments:

  1. Love this, Suz. Sounds great. I'm a big fan of zucchini and Thai, and love how you brought the two to a perfect, healthy union that brings out the best of both. If only marriage could be this easy - ha! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you know what's missing from this blog? An entry about what you made for dinner when your good friends Sue and Dave come over for dinner!! Feel free to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, you're going to love it!
    And Sue, I'll get working on that blog post! I'm catering Steph's neighbor's wedding next weekend and I have a class on top of it, but maybe in a couple weeks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful! This is really amazing. I'm gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Devanie! Hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did. Let me know....
      Suzanne

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete