Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Zucchini and Arugula Salad

I had to share this gorgeous salad presentation that two of my students made today at Bauman.  I love it not only because of how it looks (and tasted!), but because it was a life lesson on a plate.   I dig when that happens!!


I remembered this recipe from when I was a student at Bauman a couple years ago.  One of my classmates created a beautiful salad with thinly shaved zucchini, sliced from end to end into long ribbons.  She laid them in a cross on the plate, placed the arugula salad on top and folded the zucchini up around it, like a little gift- wrapped package.  Not having read the recipe myself (I was making something else that day), I thought this was how the recipe was written.

So today when I went to check on Claire and Maria to see how they were doing on their salad, I was surprised to see that they had cut the zucchini into thin discs, not long ribbons.  I questioned it, and then looked at the recipe to see if they had mistakenly cut it the wrong way.  The recipe only said to cut the zucchini thinly, no direction other than that.  I told them about the way my classmate had done the dish, but assured them that they way the recipe was writtin, they hadn't done anything wrong.

Two things happened.  First of all, I think that it challenged them to make an equally stunning presentation, maybe for me, but maybe for themselves.  And they did not dissapoint.  I saw them scrambling around the kitchen looking for something that eluded them..."Chef Suzanne, do we have those round things?" my favorite Irish lass, Claire, asked.  I finally figured out she meant ring molds and gave her a handful.

I'm glad that I got caught up in all the other goings-on in the kitchen, so I didn't see what they were planning until it was presented to the table.  What a wonderful surprise!  I told the entire class that this salad was by far one of my favorite plating presentations that they have put before us so far this semester.

And that's when the second thing happened: I realized that just because you think something is good just as it is and you think it's right, it doesn't mean that something better can't come along and change your mind.  Maria and Claire changed mine today.  I used to remake the dish from my semester, but now I have a new version that's even better.  (I'll be stealing this one, ladies!).

Once I perfect my own recipe, I'll share it, but if you want to give it a try now, the basics are:
Thinly slice zucchini rounds and soak in a little olive oil and salt to cover, until they become soft and pliable.
Toss arugula and micro greens (love them!) with a vinaigrette and anything else you want, keep it delicate, though.
They layered zucchini slices, then arugula, then more zucchini slices, and more arugula.
Then they topped it with ricotta salata cheese (it's a sheep cheese, so the lactose intolerant may be able to handle it, but goat cheese would work, too.)

Yum it up!  And look pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment