Monday, October 8, 2012

Ginger-Coconut Chicken

Last week was so dang hot here in Northern California that I just didn't feel much like cooking. I ate a lot of watermelon and salads....no ovens or stovetops were going to run in this house!   It was a bummer because I got the idea for a ginger-coconut chicken dish that I was really dying to make (and eat!), but had neither the desire or inclination to get near a hot stove.  When things cooled off this weekend though, I jumped at the chance.

This is another no-recipe recipe, but you can do it; I promise.  I was just in such an excited runsh to make it and get it in my belly as soon as possible, that I didn't take the usual time to write it all down as I went along.  I need to get better about that!

First, let's get my peeling ginger trick out of the way....

Best way to get the skin off your ginger root (please don't buy the bottled stuff; fresh is so much better) is to use the side of a spoon.  You give up less real estate this way and you start to smoosh the ginger (techincal culinary term) and bring out that beautiful ginger juice and flavor.


Next, slice a medium onion, chop a couple tablespoons of ginger and a serrano pepper (leave some of the seeds in if you like a little heat), and get a lime ready to juice in at the end.  Saute the onion, ginger and serrano in a couple teaspoons of coconut oil until softened.  Add about a pound of chicken breast or thighs (for 4 servings), cut into bite-sized pieces (I used thighs this time; they're cheaper and just as tasty as boneless breasts) and cook until lightly browned on all sides.  They don't need to be cooked all the way through because now you add a can of coconut milk.  Use the real deal, not the "lite" version.  You know the deal - when they take the fat out of a product, they usually add other things, like sugar, to make up for the flavor, and sugar is far worse for us that fat.  Stir well, cover and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through and all the flavores are snuggled in.



At the end, I throw in a handful of basil leaves, a pinch of salt to taste and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.  Serve over brown basmati rice and send me a thank you note!!


Yummy and fast....what more can you ask for????


Yum it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment