Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sprouting Won't Get the Best of Me!

So let's talk about sprouting....what the heck, why, what?  Sprouting beans and seeds help to make the nutrients in them more easily absorbed by our bodies, and are easier to digest...and it turns out, it's kinda' fun.  It also amps up the nutrients of the beans or seeds that you work with..... up to six times more nutritious than the raw or cooked version.



I'd bought sprouts before, but had never imagined making my own until I was in the Natural Chef program at Bauman College.  A few years ago when I was a student, we were given seeds, a mason jar and instructions, with the goal of coming to class a week later to share our sprouts.

I was the only student who was unsuccessful.   Boooooo!  Well, truth be told it was a "Girl's Weekend"; that once-a-year weekend when my college girlfriends come spend the weekend at my house.  There's a lot of fun and laughter and stories and food....and wine.  Ooooops, that may have had something to do with why I didn't quite follow the instructions in those first couple days of sprouting.

Now as the kitchen manager at Bauman College, the students don't have to sprout.....I do. (Yikes!)

Last semester one of the instructors was my pinch hitter. Chef Marcella, said, "I'll do it" when she saw the fear in my eyes.  This semester, however, I decided that sprouting would not get the better of me.... I'm sprouting!!  And I did!!



Here's the deal:
I soaked 1/3 cup of lentils in filtered water overnight (yes, it needs to be purified water for best results),
I drained the water and put the lentils in a 2 quart mason jar with a square of cheesecloth sealed with the ring or a ubber band over the top.
Keep it tilted in a dish drainer, making sure that the lentils, beans or seeds don't cover the mouth of the jar...need to let the air flow into the jar.
Rinse and drain the bean/seeds each morning and evening (just fill the jar with filtered water and drain thru the cheese cloth).
In three to five days, they'll "sprout" like in the above pic....you'll see little tails.

Marcella sent me a recipe by Heidi Swanson's 101Cookbooks.com to make today.....I was skeptical, but it was delicious, and the students ATE IT UP!

Here's a link to the recipe:  http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/sprout-salad-recipe.html

I used lentils instead of mung beans, and they sprouted within a few days just as easily.





The dressing is so simple, but amazingly delicious: chopped arugula, chives, Greek yogurt (I used goat yogurt for a little tang and to accommodate my lactose intolerant friends) and a pinch of salt.  Heidi suggests serving it on the side; I agree.

Really does go to show that the best things are the simple things....

The base of the salad is equally simple and equally yummy,,,,the sprouted beans, toasted almonds, avocado, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.  Sounds like "are you kidding me?" but tastes like ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!"
I was amazed...and I will be sprouting again.  And again and again!


Yum it up!!

1 comment: