Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fresh Berry Tart

Last summer when I was doing cooking demos at the farmers' markets in Sonoma and Marin, I made this very simple dessert.  I probably shouldn't share it because I had people asking me if I was selling them.  (I've got dibs!!!)  But it's so good and so easy to make, that I can't keep it from you (I'm such a giver!)


The really nice thing about this is that it's gluten free and vegan; the crust is made with nuts and dates.  I usually make it with pecans and walnuts because I always have them in my freezer for salads and pasta, but I've made it with macadamia nuts and almonds, too, and that works great.  It's essentially equal portions of nuts, with about 6-8 dates and a little lemon zest.  The dates not only naturally sweeten the crust but help bind it.  No white flour, no white sugar.....who says healthy and delicious can't exist together?  Not this girl!

You can make this a raw dessert (since the crust is not cooked) by simply adding fresh berries that you macerate with a little bit of palm sugar, but I prefer to cook the berries in a little coconut oil (makes the berries glisten and has a nice little background of flavor).  Cooking the berries for about 15 minutes draws out all of the juices from the fruit (the fresher the berries, the more juice you'll get).  I add some vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg with a pinch of salt, fill the tart shell and serve warm, chilled or at room temp.  That gives you a lot of flexibility if making this for a dinner party.

Earlier this month I did a version of this for my Farm to Table dinner at Farm Girl Nursery.  I had a number of guests come into the kitchen to ask me how I made it, and one woman said she had to give me a hug.... it was that good.  So if you need a hug, bust this one out!

Fresh Berry Tart
Serves 8

1 cup walnuts
1 cup pecans
8 dates, pitted and quartered
Zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus extra for garnish
·         To make crust, put walnuts, pecans, and  dates in a food processor and blend until it resembles breadcrumbs. 
·         Add lemon zest and pulse to combine.
·         Form into a pie plate and set in fridge until ready to fill.
·         Meanwhile, melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
·         Add strawberries,  blueberries and raspberries.  Cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juices release from the fruit.
·         Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Stir to combine and cook an additional 2 minutes.
·         Remove from heat and add mint.  Let cool slightly.
·         Fill tart with filling and garnish with mint.  Can be served warm, cold or at room temperature.
 
Yum it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment