Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Happiest Place on Earth

Sure, some people think  Disneyland is "the happiest place on earth" (including the Disney corporation), but the Marin farmers' market on Sunday is my Disneyland.  Lots of similarities, really: there are rides (well, pony rides and a bouncy house), crowds, tons of food, too many little kids, long lines, and their own version of "lands:" Produce Land, Arts & Crafts Land, Baked Goods Land, Organic Animal Protein Land, Food Truck Land, Condiments Land.  Well, you get the idea.

First things first....coffee!  My favorite coffee guy owns Maddie's Mud.  And since I am not an early riser today, I'm in luck.... no major line.  His organic coffee generally has people waiting in a Space Mountain--like line.  Love the poster in his truck's window: "If you're not shaking, you need another cup."  He's not kidding!  Good and strong (I'm referring to the coffee, but I'm sure Carlos is, too).


So here's my plan today: I'm looking for something I've never cooked before, even better if I've never heard of it.  I walked around for a while, but found mostly familiar things: summer squash, tomatoes, peaches, nectarines, blah blah blah.  But then I stumbled upon John Xiong Farms, and this odd looking thing:


This is sinqua.  I'd never heard of it, so I'm in!!  I asked John what the heck it was, how to prepare and cook it, and what it resembles that I'd be familiar with (talk to your farmers; they love to tell you about what they grow- they're better than google).  He told me it's a sweet veg, to peel it, it's best used in a stir fry because it cooks quickly, and that it's a lot like a zucchini.  OK, so I guess I'm making a stir fry tonight...do they have anything else I've never heard of??  Well, yes they do....yu choy:


I'd never heard of it, but I have used bok choy before, so I figured it isn't a stretch (Johm confirmed).  And it'll be perfect in my stir fry. 

I was content with my "never befores" and went on to buy some of  "the regulars."  Then I got to thinking about the colors in my stir fry...lots of green going on here and not much else.  So I thought I would hit one of the many bell pepper vendors for a red or purple bell. Along the way I found a new vendor at the market,  Boua H. Vue Farms.  Jenny introduced me to these sweet Italian Long Peppers, and threw in a gorgeous eggplant...

So now I'm happy, and I'm done.... or so I think.  On my way back through the last row (I have to walk every row no matter what), I happened upon Angie from Zuckerman's Farm.  Don't ask her where Wilbur is, she's over kid's asking that (no, I didn't ask).  I told her to have a mason jar filled with creepy spiders, and offer the kids a good look at Charlotte instead!  Amused, she gave me a bite of a Canary Melon.



 It has a bright yellow skin (hence "canary") and a sweet flesh that tastes like a tangy blend of honeydew and cantaloupe.  She says this one feels like it'll be good and juicy, so I'm going to make my wackadoo pasta sauce with it (you have to check back....trust me!). 




But there's always one stop I have to make...Triple T Ranch & Farm.


It's always packed.  And in addition to their great produce, they sell staters at certain points in the season.  A lot of my veg garden came from them.  I met the Tarantino men Larry, Larry, and Larry (don't make the erroneuos Bob Newhart reference; that was Daryl, Daryl and Daryl) when I was doing cooking demos at farmers' markets in Sonoma and Marin last summer.  One of the Larrys introduced me to padron and shishito peppers, which I hadn't heard of at the time.  So I would always go back and ask Larry "What do I have to have today?", and he always says the same thing: "How about a hot Italian?!"  Never gets old, even a year later.  Sorry to have missed him today.

Now I was really done and started back to the car, filled with ideas of new dishes to share with you this week.  And the last booth I walked by was this one (also new to the market)...


"Susanne's Farm Kitchen"

Why didn't I think of that?!  Too bad she spells it wrong.

Check back, peeps.  Got some gooood cooking going on this week!  Definitely gonna yum it up!

When's the last time you cooked something new? What was it???

1 comment:

  1. Shishito peppers, right before the demolition of my kitchen. Used them in a tomatillo salsa.

    ReplyDelete