Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wok This Way.....

It started with a visit to the farmers' market and my desire to find something new to play with.  And this is what I found:

It's Sinqua, also known as Chinese Okra Squash.  John told me that it was similar to zucchini (which it is), but when I cut the skin off, it had the disticnt smell of cucumber.  Knowing I was going to make a stir fry tonight, I figured I'd add it last along with the fo choy I also bought from John at Sunday's market (very similar to bok choy), since they need very little time in the heat.

I always think about color when I cook, even if it's just for me (be good to yourself). So far I just have green, so I julienne (oooh, don't I sound fancy?) an orange and a purple bell pepper, slice some shiitakes and red onion, and throw that into my wok with a little screaming hot coconut oil....


A little chopped ginger and garlic go in, and when the veggies are crisp-tender, I throw in a mix of tamari (wheat-free soy sauce; make the switch, people!), rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil and Trader Joe's dijon mustard (got to be TJ's or it won't have the same zip).   In goes the fo choy leaves and chopped sinqua.

What do you like to serve your stir fry with?  Rice?  Of course!  So let's add some rice to the wok...


Only thing is, I'm not your average girl....that's not rice; it's jicama.  Yep... jicama.  I cut a medium jicama in half, peeled it, cubed it and popped it in the food processor.  About a dozen pulses, and viola, you've got a crunchy rice alternative (I was just too lazy to boil a pot of rice tonight!). Stir that in and you've got dinner (again) in about 10 minutes.  Don't you love me??!! Of course you do.


I'm doing the plant-based dinner thing most days (getting my protein earlier in the day), but for those of you who feel the need, add a little cooked chicken, beef or pork and you've got an easy, quick, healthy one-pot meal.  So much yum!

Veggie Stir Fry over Jicama "Rice"
Serves 4

2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 orange bell pepper, julienne
1 purple bell pepper, julienne
3 cups shiitake mushrooms,  thinly sliced, stems removed
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Trader Joe's dijon mustard
1 sinqua, peeled and chopped
1 bunch fo choy, leaves only, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 large jicama
  • Melt coconut oil in wok or large cast iron skillet over high heat.
  • Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
  • Add bell peppers and cook one minute, continously stirring.
  • Stir in shiitakes, and cook 2-3 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender.
  • In a small bowl, whisk tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and mustaard.
  • Stir into wok and toss to coat all veggies.
  • Add sinqua and fo choy, stirring until fo choy wilts.
  • Season to taste with slat and pepper. Remove from heat.
  • Place jicama in food processor and pulse 12 -15 times until coasre granules, like rice.  Fold into veggie mixture.
Oh yeah, I forgot.....you know I like things spicy, so there was a little heat added to mine.  If I was on a desert island, what one condiment would I take????


Makes everything goooood!


yum it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment