Saturday, August 18, 2012

Talk about Inspiring!

Generally, I am not a fan of working a 12 hour day.  I gave that up a thousand years ago when I got out of retail.  But tonight was "Showcase" for my Bauman College students.  Here they are with Chef Jennifer just before dinner was served...



Showcase is a dinner that they create and cater for their family, friends, and a select group of Bauman College staff (including me!).  And tonight it was so aptly titled, because it truly was a feast that showcased these women's talent, creativity, and growth.  I had fought the notion that I was supposed to be a guest at the dinner.  After working with them all day, it felt silly to change clothes, dress up, and have them serve me.  I wanted to stay in the kitchen with them and help.  But after being told three times that I needed to sit at the table and be a guest, I gave in.  And boy am I glad I did.  It was delicious!!!

We started the evening with a little "bite"...

Joy (she is also aptly named!) created a flax cracker (gluten-free)  that is infused with fresh veggies and dehydrated.  They're topped with seaweed "caviar" and a roasted tomato puree.  I could eat the whole tray (but I just had two), and I am not a big seaweed fan. Nicely done!

Along with this, guests enjoyed Claire's refreshing Watermelon Fizz, a blend of fresh watermelon, ginger, citrus and sparkling water, with delicate edible flower ice cubes.... as tasty as it is pretty (you know I love pretty!)

Then we entered the dining room, beautifully transformed from the classroom it had been just hours before.  With long family-style tables that encouraged lots of lively discussions among the proud and excited friends, husbands, parents and siblings.  Each table was adorned with beautiful monocramatic floral arrangements that reflected their theme of "Colors of Heath."  They wanted to impress upon their guests the notion that the more colors you introduce into your diet, the greater array of vitamins, minerals and nutrients you get (think carrots: beta-carotene; dark, leafy greens: iron).


Our first course was a Sweet Corn Bisque with Heirloom Tomato & Roasted Corn Salsa...

Lorrine and Jing amazed the diners with this creamy soup that was completely dairy free.  The secret: cauliflower. Adding cauliflower to the simmering soup makes it creamy, without any cream.  An herb oil and a chile oil gave it great color, as well as added another layer of flavor.  So impressed! 

Our next course was a Rainbow Wrap over Carrot Puree....


Meghan used Swiss chard as the wrap and filled them with purple and red bell peppers, carrots, green beans, micro greens,  served over a carrot puree and topped with crispy shiitakes.  I was introduced to crispy shiitakes when I was a student in the Natural Chef program two years ago, and can't get enough of them!  Thinly slice shiitakes, toss with a little melted coconut oil and bake for about 30 minutes until nice and crisp....they taste just like bacon bits.  No joke!  You gotta try it.

Now time for our entree: a Trio of Gluten-Free Ravioli infused with pureed vegetables....

This was a labor of love.  Making something glute free takes a lot of trial and error, and the two ladies who created this entree refused to give up when test after test failed to produce their desired effect.  My favorite moment was last week when Francesca, even though she was feeling defeated, said "You only fail if you give up."  And later that night she and Wesley perfected their quinoa pasta recipe.  Got to love their tenacity.  And it was well worth the effort.

They infused beets into the dough for one ravioli and filled it with a red pepper cashew "ricotta", a spinach infused dough was stuffed with herbed almond "cheese," and the carrot ravioli was filled with basil pesto.  They served them over a velvety, dairy-free cream sauce (once again using cauliflower instead of cream).  And that little shaving of cheese over the top is actually shaved Brazil nuts.  These are the cool little things you learn here in the Natural Chef program!

Our next course was a palate cleanser and salad in one....

Lorrine and Jing were at it again.  They made a refreshing cucumber sorbet and set it on a spiralized watermelon radish over a bed of lightly dressed frisee.  Talk abbout pretty!! It was a perfect light bite after our entree, and before our final course: a trio of desserts.....

On the left are raw cacao truffles: one made with spiruina (an algae that encompassed every color in the rainbow and is a powerhouse of calcium, protein and iron) and rolled in chopped pistachios, next is the cherry truffle rolled in shredded coconut, and lastly a cayenne truffle rolled in powdered cacao.  That should be enough, right?  Not a chance with Britt and Alyssa in the kitchen! In the middle is a coconut milk panna cotta with fresh berry compote (yum!).  But still not done.  On the right is a lemon meringue cookie with a peach and strawberry salsa.

Ok now I'm full!!

So proud of these ladies!  They have come so far, and I am certain that they will all continue to go far.  It was a wonderful evening and an even more wonderful meal.  I only have a couple more weeks left with them until I move on to the next group of students.  That next group has some big shoes to fill!!  These ladies are very special to me, and again I am reminded how lucky I am to have chosen this path in life.  I had no idea it would lead me to such joy..... and new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment