Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Got to Like a Guy Who Can Cook!

I had my 30th high school reunion (I know, not possible I'm that old!) a few weeks back, but had to miss it because I was catering a wedding.  Tonight, however, I was lucky enough to have a little reunion with my old high school friend, Matthew.  I knew that he was a chef, so when he suggested coming over for dinner before a backyard concert at the KRSH studios in Santa Rosa, I was in!  But I was not prepared for this.....


I mean, come on!  This is fine dining.  But Matthew said, "It's just barbeque."

First he tossed arugula, fennel, red onion, cara caras (check out that supreme job; makes me jealous!), and green olives with a tangy vinaigrette.  Learned a great tip on dressing your greens: Use a large bowl and drizzle the dressing around the sides of the bowl rather than on top of the lettuce, so it doesn't macerate your greens.

Then there was the grill going in the backyard..... beautifully seasoned salmon (my fave), fingerling potatoes, scallions, and figs.  The fingerlings were tucked under the greens, and that gorgeous salmon perched on top with the grilled fig halves and scallions.  He laughed when I said I had to take a picture, but it was that pretty.  It was like the present you get that is so beautifully wrapped that you don't want to open it and ruin it. Same thing here; I almost didn't want to eat it, it was so pretty, but only "almost"... I dug in, and I was in heaven.  This was a meal that perfectly expresses what I try to teach people: use fresh, real food and you don't need to mess with it too much.  I watched Matthew put this together quickly, with few ingredients and it was perfect (but then he is a professional, and has been cooking since we were in high school).

Only thing that could make the meal even better.....my other favorite food: chocolate peanut butter cups (and a yummy David Coffaro 1996 Pitite Sirah Estate Bottled.)
 .


A little intimidated to return the favor after this dinner.....I'd better start practicing now.  Definitely need to step up my game!!
Go on, people, play with your food!!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe..Looks really mouth watering..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been craving this dish since you first posted it....can I make it using only a microwave and coffemaker? ;)

    ReplyDelete