Friday, August 10, 2012

Take THAT, Rachel Ray!

Some months back I taught a cooking class, and as one woman was leaving she said, "You should be on TV.  You're like Rachel Ray, just not annoying."  Gave me quite a chuckle.  Yes, I'm "bubbly" and "perky", but I  use less hand gestures to articulte my point.  But then Forbes just listed her as earning $25 million, so I can get more animated if you want me to!!  America sure seems to like it.

Anyway, Rachel often refers to heself as "The Burger Queen."  I've watched her cook lots of delicious burgers.  But I've never seen her make one without meat.  I'm sure she has, but I've never seen one.  I, on the other hand, have been searching to create the perfect vegetarian burger for the past year.  I've been pretty successful, but I never stop with one.  My "guinea pigs" are the chef students at Bauman (shhhhh...don't tell them; they think I've thoroughly thought these through before I cook for them, and I've pulled it off for months!), and they have voraciously enjoyed every one I've ever rmade.  I take into consideration all the allergies, intoerances and preferences I have to deal with:  no gluten, no dairy, no soy, and no meat.  No biggie for a girl like me!

My latest, and possibly greatest, is my Black Bean and Millet Veggie Burger.

I think I'm starting to figure out the essential mix of  beans, grains and eggs.  My firiend Bill is great at deconstructing a recipe and then is able to recreate new versions of it.  This is something I admire about him so much, because it is something I admittedly am  not great at. I just don't take the time to think that much (yes, it's a problem....and not just with cooking!).  But I'm starting to get the hang of it though.

For this one I cooked black beans and millet (millet is a tiny, little gluten free grain). I toasted the millet in a saucepan for a few minutes and then added boiling water, cover and simmer about 10 minutes until water is absorbed, just like with any other rice.  I chopped up some colorful, in season veggies to mix in - red bell peppers, red onion and fresh corn...

Take about 3/4 of your beans and mash in a bowl with some lime juice, cumin, coriander, chipotle chili powder, salt & pepper.  Put the remaining beans in a food processor with an egg, and puree it.  Add the puree, cooked millet, chopped veggies and a little cilantro to the mashed beans.  Now it's time to play with your food.  Form the bean mixture into patties and coat in cornmeal. 

Fire up a cast iron skillet coated with olive oil and cook those babies up!  Just about 4 minutes per side.

I whipped up a little spicy sauce of Sirracha and Greek yogurt; if you're putting these on a bun, that's a yummy condiment!  We had a some cilantro lime rice and a frisee salad instead.  Soooooo good!  I think I will call myself the Veggie Burger Queen.....take THAT, Rachel Ray!

What's your favorite veggie burger??


Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6
3 1/2  cups cooked black beans, divided
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked millet
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup goat cheddar
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 egg
cornmeal
2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Place 2 1/2 cups of cooked beans in a large bowl and add lime juice, cumin, coriander, chile powder and salt.  Give it a rough mash with a fork or paotato masher.
  • Add cooked millet, bell pepper, onion, corn, cheese and cilantro, mixing to combine well.
  • Take remaining cup of cooked beans and place in the bowl of a food processor with one egg and puree.  Add this puree to the bean and veggie mixture.
  • Form bean mixture into patties and coat both sides with cornmeal.  Let set for 10 minutes or so.
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook burgers 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Yum it up!!  Yeah, yeah, yeah there's a little bit of cheese in there!!  I did it for THEM. :)

4 comments:

  1. My favorite veggie burger is this one...now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVED the veggie burger at Hillstone Restaurant in NY.....so good. I like to make a black bean burger and keep them in the freezer for a quick meal. Wondering why the cornmeal on your burgers?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps them from sticking...little ball bearings make the flipping easier.

      Suzanne

      Delete